Thursday, 10 May 2012

The Leadmill


I once lost my left Dunlop Green Flash crowd surfing at a very early Arctic Monkeys gig at The Leadmill. Undeterred, I spent the rest of the evening furiously nodding my head, ironically, to Dancing Shoes.

The Sheffield music scene went bonkers right about the time I turned 18 – Reverend and The Makers, Bromheads Jacket, Milburn, Little Man Tate, Arctic Monkeys & Stoney were all putting the city on the map and along with the Kaiser Chiefs and Pigeon Detectives making noises up the M1 in Leeds, the NME dubbed Gods Own Country as ‘New Yorkshire’. All of the aforementioned were right up the street of this wannabe scenester and I followed them all avidly in many an epic night across the city’s music venues – no more so than at The Leadmill. The place defined my youth. 

It should be as no surprise then, that when I decided I was putting together a collection of architectural sketches which were intended to define Sheffield, that The Leadmill simply could not have been left out.

That’s why I’m so excited at the prospect of The Leadmill printing my artwork onto their bags. All 5000 of them. This is part of their marketing campaign during ‘Freshers Week’ when thousands upon thousands of the next generation of Sheffield’s trend setters descend upon the city.  We, those that have been there and done it and got the ripped 'There's always tomorrow, mate' Reverend and The Makers T-shirt, need to take them under our wings and guide them down the rightous path.

My advice to them would be thus - there’s be no better place to discover everything Sheffield’s nightlife has to offer than at The Leadmill. If my artwork helps to keep them out of Embrace, then  I’ll sleep soundly at night knowing I’ve made the world a better place.

Here is how it will look:



We’ve had to remove the colour from the image for printing purposes but you can buy a 12x16inch signed print of the original piece by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment