I like Manchester – We
have a lot in common with the folk at the other end of the The Snake. Its Sheffield’s
kindred spirit. It is rooted in hard working industrial tradition and much like
Sheffield has grown into a bustling and contemporary city that remains faithful
to its roots and proud of its heritage. Mancunians love Manchester in the same
as we love Sheffield, and rightly so.
It’s for these reasons
that I would like to do something similar to ‘Totally Sheffield’ with the iconic
and loved places in Manchester.
This is where I need your
help, good people of Manchester. What I would like are the mucky and grimy
places that are cast in the hearts of the people. I don’t want The Trafford
Centre’s or the grandiose office blocks, I want Manchester’s take on The Hendo’s
Factory (below left).
As a building, it’s absolutely nothing to look at but here in
Sheffield we love our Henderson’s Relish – it’s part of our identity. The
Tinsley Towers (below right) were, in reality, a pretty ugly blot on the landscape but we
were gutted when they were pulled down – they were somehow synonymous with our
industrial past – we all knew we were ‘home’ when we passed them on the M1. We
all have memories of dirty nights in The Leadmill nightclub.
Those are the places I need from
you. It can be anywhere, big or small, old or new, even those that aren’t there
anymore but you remember fondly. The places that are in your city’s blood are
what I want.
There are several ways to
get in touch:
Twitter - @officialprest
or email me at: email@lukeprest.com
Or just leave a comment
on this blog!


No comments:
Post a Comment